Hi everyone! I am EJP of EJPcreations. The items I make utilize design elements from a bygone time, to create modern, urban body ornaments. I am a mad scientist of a woman specializing in creating tiaras, necklaces, and fascinators, with a noir, and gothic flair. All adornments have a hint of vampire elegance, a dash of Steampunk bravado, and plenty of Neo-Victorian sensibilities. Here is my little blog to showcase some of my creations, the things that inspire me, as well as a scrapbook of curiosities that I have picked up in my wanderings across the web. ~ Please Enjoy …

Thursday, August 5, 2010

Aurora Borealis Trip


Seeing the northern lights in person is one thing at the top of my travel list. Fairbanks is within the aurora oval, the area where Northern Lights occur most often and are brightest. The Fairbanks Visitors Bureau says you have an 80 percent chance of seeing them if you stay there for three nights. The Northern Lights are most frequent around the spring and fall equinoxes (September 22 and March 22). Most active late at night or early in the morning, and brighter during the full moon. Most intense from December to March when nights are longer, the sky clearer and darker. This is also the coldest part of the year, reaching as low as -40 F. Hotels near Fairbanks offer winter Northern Lights packages, and at most of them you can ask the front desk to call and wake you up if the aurora appears. Aurora Borealis Lodge offers evening tours to a location 20 miles away from the city lights, where you can watch the Northern Lights inside where it's warm.

Resources:
Go California- Northern Lights
igougo- 10 places to see the Northern Lights
usa today- Northern Lights

3 comments:

  1. I used to live in Winnipeg, Canada and we would get Northern lights there, even though it's just a few hours north of the US border. I miss them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is on the top of my list, too. I've been to every state in the union except Alaska. I had wanted to go for my 40th last year, but life had other plans for me.

    I'll get there soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful. I will have to add it to my list too.

    ReplyDelete