Hi everyone! I am EJP of EJPcreations. The items I make utilize design elements from a bygone time, to create modern, urban body ornaments. I am a mad scientist of a woman specializing in creating tiaras, necklaces, and fascinators, with a noir, and gothic flair. All adornments have a hint of vampire elegance, a dash of Steampunk bravado, and plenty of Neo-Victorian sensibilities. Here is my little blog to showcase some of my creations, the things that inspire me, as well as a scrapbook of curiosities that I have picked up in my wanderings across the web. ~ Please Enjoy …

Monday, October 4, 2010

Mimic Octopus

The Indonesian Mimic Octopus has to be one of my favorite animals on this planet. Not only is it beautiful, it's crafty too. "the mimic octopus is the first known species to take on the characteristics of multiple species. This octopus is able to copy the physical likeness and movement of more than fifteen different species, including sea snakes, lion fish, flatfish, brittle stars, giant crabs, sea shells, stingrays, jellyfish, sea anemones, and mantis shrimp. This animal is so intelligent that it is able to discern which dangerous sea creature to impersonate that will present the greatest threat to its current possible predator. For example, scientists observed that when the octopus was attacked by territorial damsel fishes, it mimicked the banded sea snake, a known predator of damsel fishes." ( From: www.americanpendulum.com Here is a great video demonstrating some of these behaviors. There is another type of Octopus that I dearly love as well. I can't remember it's name, but it has this behavior where it will turn it's body upside down, make it's color ghost white, and make this grumpy face ( as the scientist called it on the documentry). I wish I knew it's name, it's such a great behavior!

No comments:

Post a Comment