Hi everyone! I am EJP of EJPcreations. The items I make utilize design elements from a bygone time, to create modern, urban body ornaments. I am a mad scientist of a woman specializing in creating tiaras, necklaces, and fascinators, with a noir, and gothic flair. All adornments have a hint of vampire elegance, a dash of Steampunk bravado, and plenty of Neo-Victorian sensibilities. Here is my little blog to showcase some of my creations, the things that inspire me, as well as a scrapbook of curiosities that I have picked up in my wanderings across the web. ~ Please Enjoy …

Monday, November 1, 2010

Dia De Los Muertos- Costume Idea



I don’t know what it is about me, but I can never come up with the perfect costume for Halloween until it’s too late to construct it for the big night. So what I’ve decided to do is to make little inspiration boards for some of these ideas. Then next year when I can’t come up with anything I’ll have the ideas waiting for me on my blog. The first one is taking my favorite holiday Dia De Los Muertos, and creating something to wear from the amazing images produced from this surreal event. Here is a little history on the festivities…

“ Día de los Muertos or Day of the Dead is a holiday celebrated by many in Mexico and by some Mexican Americans living in the United States and Canada. The holiday focuses on gatherings of family and friends to pray for and remember friends and family members who have died. The celebration occurs on November 2 in connection with the Catholic holidays of All Saints' Day (November 1) and All Souls' Day (November 2). Traditions connected with the holiday include building private altars (ofrendas ) honoring the deceased using sugar skulls, marigolds (These flowers are thought to attract souls of the dead to the offerings), and the favorite foods and beverages of the departed and visiting graves with these as gifts. Due to occurring shortly after Halloween, the Day of the Dead is sometimes thought to be a similar holiday, although the two actually have little in common. The Day of the Dead is a time of celebration, where partying is common. ( quoted from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Day_of_the_Dead )"

No comments:

Post a Comment