Hi everyone! I am EJP of EJPcreations. The items I make utilize design elements from a bygone time, to create modern, urban body ornaments. I am a mad scientist of a woman specializing in creating tiaras, necklaces, and fascinators, with a noir, and gothic flair. All adornments have a hint of vampire elegance, a dash of Steampunk bravado, and plenty of Neo-Victorian sensibilities. Here is my little blog to showcase some of my creations, the things that inspire me, as well as a scrapbook of curiosities that I have picked up in my wanderings across the web. ~ Please Enjoy …

Monday, January 28, 2013

Steampunk Memento Mori Diorama

A little while back I woke up after a very deep sleep and realized that I had been dreaming about Dutch  memento mori paintings. Those huge thick heavy still life's of a large oppressive table with wilted flowers and decaying fruit. I think in my dream I was watching the fruit decay over and over again in a loop. Scary huh... Bet your glad your not in my brain. Anyway... It stuck with me all day to where I was getting really irritated at the Dutch and suddenly it hit me why does memento mori artwork have to be so damn depressing. Yes death is sad, but it my belief system loved ones will be there waiting for us with open arms and all my animals that have passed will be bounding about me. It's a day I sort of look forward to in a morbid way. So this is my version of a "Happy" memento mori. Banners, and streamers flutter behind the subject as if he is at a party. The skeleton is in his best party attire, top hat included, and he is even making it more festive with a pinwheel. Take that Dutch painters! Just try to usurp my dreams and this is what you get.

No comments:

Post a Comment